The iconic image of the burlesque dancer with their ostrich feather fans has captivated beginning dancers since before the neo-burlesque revival in the latter half of the 20th century. As time goes on, however, our community begins to focus on such topics as cruelty free costuming, hypoallergenic materials and vegan lifestyle. To that end I developed these fans in January of 2017. Built entirely from man-made materials, with durable UMHW polyethylene staves, these fans are available in different fabrics, colours and weights to suit any performer.
Please note that orders are processed in the order that they are received. DUE TO THE CURRENT GLOBAL PANDEMIC THERE MAY BE DELAYS IN THE SHIPPING OF MATERIALS AND COMMISSIONS. I am not currently accepting any rush orders.
Notes before ordering:
- Fans are 48×24 inches, measured from base of handle to top of fabric feather
- Fans are heavier than traditional ostrich due to the longer, more solid stave. This is because of drag and preventing the staves from snapping.
- Some layering options may not be available in some materials. This is due to the overall weight and aesthetic of the finished product.
- Bags for these fans are included in the purchase price. While they are hardier than their ostrich-feather counterparts, these fans will not fit in a standard fan bag. Therefore, for your convenience, I source custom carrying bags that will fit all fans that leave my studio. This bag comes with it’s own embroidered “Foxy Fancies” label.
- Your order also includes two “garters” to help store your fans in a closed position.
- Standard fans take two weeks from beginning to end to produce once manufacture has begun.
- All orders will be manufactured in the order they are received. (Your anticipated shipping date will be included in your invoice.)
- Please note that calculated manufacture time is for a SINGLE PAIR of fans. EACH ADDITIONAL pair takes 1-2 weeks extra.
- ENGLISH NET fans will take an additional time to produce due to their more challenging materials sourcing.
- All fans must be PAID IN FULL before production begins. This includes the anticipated shipping. An invoice will be sent to you when I receive the completed order form (see bottom of page).
- A Vegan Boa that matches your fans can be ordered at the same time as the fans for an additional $300 added to the purchase price. Boas include matching coloured tassels and are 6ft in length. Your tassel colour will match your boa colour unless you have a multi-coloured set of fans, in which case I will ask you to specify if you would like the tassels a single colour or a mix of the colours.
- TULLE (lightest weight, most sheer):
-Single layer (set weighs in at 2.2lbs): $325+ shipping
-Double layer (set weighs in at 2.8lbs): $425+ shipping
- ENGLISH NET* (standard weight, original prototype material, middle opacity, only 8 staves):
-Single layer (pictured below): [available upon inquiry]+ shipping
-Double layer: [available upon inquiry]+ shipping
- ORGANZA (heaviest weight, most opaque, only 6 staves):
-Single layer: $425+ shipping
-Double layer (only 6 staves): $575+ shipping
- Contrasting Ribs: If ordering multiple layers, the “feather” ribs are typically matched to the shortest layer of the fans, but if the client wants, the ribs can be matched to the longest layer and provide contrast. (example below) (+$50)
- Contrasting Stitching: If ordering multiple layers, the thread used to sew the edges of the “feathers” matches the layer colour by default. However, if the client wants, the thread can match the other layer to provide contrast. (example below)(+$25)
- Stave Colour: The default, most available, colour for the material used to mill the staves is white, but there is now black in limited availability. While I cannot guarantee the option, they are available and can be used when I can get them. (+$50)
Orders can be cancelled within 24 hours of purchase with no penalty, however after that time there will be a 10% deduction from the refund price. This is to recoup loss of time and funds (all materials are ordered within 24 hours of sale).
*Please note that ENGLISH NET fans and boas will take longer to manufacture/deliver because of the recent changes in United States tariff/trade agreements and their impact on the import/export business. Previously this material was available through a reputable wholesaler in Taiwan, but due to the current global pandemic and it’s resulting financial crisis, that supplier has gone out of business. Therefore all English Net will have to be individually sourced for each colour. Please use the above form for inquiry and you will be quoted a price upon sourcing of the desired colour of English Net. However please be aware this has changed the price significantly from previous statements.